Monday, November 16, 2009

Brooks Family Reunion

Yesterday my family and I traveled to Bath, NC. It has been so many years since I last visited. But it's weird that I saw places and remembered them from so long ago. My grandma's nephew put together a reunion in honor of her. She is from Bath. And a lot of her family still lives there. As a child I made many trips there with Ma. I love that I have those memories. It was neat to see family members again. Now I couldn't remember exactly how to get there. So my dad kept calling me to make sure I was on the right path. Dean didn't know where we were going! It was pretty funny. Then the phone service kind of went out. I couldn't talk with my dad. We were out in God's country for sure! But we got there! The house we were at was on a creek near the river. It was so peaceful and serene out there. Just gorgeous countryside. Ma arrived and was delighted to see all her family. It just made me happy seeing her smile and enjoy herself. She was back home! I had the opportunity to go down to the Brooks family cemetery. Like I said I've been there as a child. It was very touching to walk around here knowing the history of the people who lay at rest there. Then I was taken down the road to where my great-mother Sally lived with her family. The pecan tree that she planted still stands in the field, even though the house is long gone. Farmers have crops planted in that huge field but the tree still stands! Some relatives told me some stories of when they used to go visit at this house. Ma has told me many stories of when she lived there. Now I was standing on that very same land. One of the people I was with made a comment, he said "Time waits for no one. It just keeps moving on." Wow! That is so true. I was four years old when my 'Memaw' passed away. I can still remember begging to go with Ma on Sunday afternoons to go with her to East Pavilion to visit my great grandma.

I am so proud to be part of a family that worked hard, loved each other and persevered. What a great heritage.
Okay, okay I am starting to go down memory lane here. We really enjoyed ourselves yesterday. The kids had a blast! Dean made a new friend! There is someone else in the family with a love for cars!


I snapped pictures off and on throughout the day. Here is a little peek into our day...
































1 comment:

KK said...

How funny, it looks beautiful. Time with family is the best!